marți, 1 februarie 2011

Sad news

I am recovering from a daunting weekend with my usually cold and somewhat calculating sister who I have just realized is on the verge of divorce from her husband of 16 years, 2 kids later. It breaks my heart, truly.

An attorney by trade, my sis has spent her life studiously rising the ranks of the legal profession to today when she can call herself VP Head of Legal for one of the largest natural gas manufacturers in the world, at the wee age of 38. Sounds important huh! The problem is that somewhere along the way she seems to have forgotten her husband behind taking care of their children, now ages 10 and 7, and as a result he (and his non-career) have become a non-contributor to their lives, and a complete bore to hers.

Sad right.
It hurt to see this usually proud woman who spent most of her years growing up strutting around with her superiority complex suddenly crumble and not know what to do or how to get out of a situation she put herself in back when she was merely 23. Without warning here I was, the little (slightly ditzy) sister, offering advise on the professionals next 50 years of life... an interesting turn of fate.

Naturally my biggest concern here being the fact that there are children involved. And not little ones.. preteens who's mother travels constantly and who have grown up depending on their father to take care of them. If my sister goes along with her plan to separate who knows what will happen to those two little ones. I envision this being an ugly, back-stabbing, "you never did anything right" kind of divorce... and that's before my parents even start bringing religion into the mix.

Just so, so sad.